Jury Service is one of the most important civic obligations that a citizen has the opportunity to perform. At first, it often feels like an inconvenience. However, we regularly hear from jurors that it turned out to be an extremely rewarding, interesting and educational experience.
Juror Pool Lists
The WY Supreme Court receives voter registration lists from the WY Secretary of State and driver’s license registration information from the WY Department of Transportation. The WY Supreme Court then randomizes the lists and provides each state and local court a jury pool list for the current term. Teton County's District Court jury term is April 1st through March 31st.
Questionnaires are mailed out to the jury pool and are required to be completed and returned within a 10-day period. The potential jurors remain in the jury pool for the one year term.
Jurors are paid $30 per day, plus mileage if you live more than 5 miles from the courthouse, at the current IRS reimbursement rate
Juror Excusal Request Form 2022
Juror Exemption Request Form 2022
Excusals require a sworn written request using the above Excusal or Exemption Form (with supporting documentation attached where applies) to be submitted and approved by the Judge.
Examples of reasons jurors may be exempted or excused from jury duty include:
- You are not a resident of Teton County.
- You are under 18 or over 72 years of age.
- You have been convicted of a felony (W.S.S. 1-11-102 states: A person who has been convicted of any felony is disqualified to act as a juror unless his conviction is reversed or annulled, he receives a pardon or his rights are restored pursuant to W.S.S. 7-13-105(a)).
- You are an elected public official.
- You are a salaried member of an organized fire department, law enforcement agency, or member of the National Guard (W.S.S. 19-9-301).
- You have served as a juror in the previous term.