The Teton County/Jackson Parks and Recreation Department will be offering two American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Course this spring. This course will certify an individual to become a non-surf lifeguard. Participants must be able to meet or pass all course prerequisites listed below. Books for the course may be picked up at registration and participants are advised to read course materials before the class begins. For more information, contact the pool staff at 739-9025.
May 11th | 6:30 pm Swim Pretest
Class Dates: May 16th & 17th from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm AND May 21st from 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Please contact Chuck Parquet for more information.
To enroll in the Lifeguarding course, a person must...
1. Be at least 15 years old.
2. Swim 300 yards continuously using the following strokes crawl, breaststroke, and side stroke.
3. Surface dive to a minimum depth of seven feet and bring a 10 lb. diving brick to the surface and return to start within 1:40.
4. Tread water for two minutes, with the use of legs only, hands under the arm pits.
Course Content Includes:
1. Preventative lifeguarding skills.
2. Steps to minimize or eliminate hazards at an aquatic facility.
3. Rescue techniques including swim assists and use of rescue equipment.
4. Procedures for handling spinal cord injuries.
5. CPR for the professional rescuer.
Lifeguard certification is valid for two years, CPR certification is valid for two years.
1. Successfully complete two written exams with 80% minimum score.
2. Successfully complete final skills test.
3. Successfully perform all critical skills.
Requirements for successful completion are:
Attend and participate in all class sessions
Complete all eLearning units prior to attending classroom skills sessions
Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities
Pass a final written exam with a minimum grade of 80%
Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios which include all 3 of the following:
¬ Head, Neck, or Spinal Injury in Shallow Water
¬ Active Victim in Deep Water
¬ Submerged Passive Victim in Deep Water – Timed Response
All sessions must be attended for certification. More courses will be added as the need arises. If you are interested please call 732-5760 and leave your name and number.